Wireshark is a free open source tool used as network protocol analyzer in the current market. The main of this application is to capture the incoming and outgoing internet traffic running on a computer network. Wireshark Network analyzer is available as free download from our website. You can download and use for any number of computers you like. It is compatible with Windows Vista/7/8/10 for both 32-bit & 64-bit.
Overview of Wireshark Network Analyzer Free Download:
In the world of technology, networking has an important role in our daily lives. The communication in the world of computers happens through packets. These data is broken into packets and travel through the network and reaches its destination and the data is delivered. Have you ever thought of capturing this data and analyzing the incoming and outgoing internet traffic? Then you’re into an appropriate article which explains about the network Analyzers. Also known as a packet sniffer, protocol analyzers or packet analyzers.
Commonly this analysis is mostly done by network administrators, network programmers, and protocol engineers, network security engineer. They use to troubleshoot, examine as well as debug protocols. There are lots of network analyzer programs available in the market. But today I would like to discuss regarding a well-known widely used program called as Wireshark.
Wireshark is a popular network analyzer (Packet sniffers). Formerly known as Ethereal but renamed as Wireshark due to trademark issues. Written in C, C++ programming language. Wireshark can capture live data flowing through the network interface. Some of the well-known rich features include capturing and filtering live traffic, coloring packets on the basis of protocols. Apart from this even other features are creating I/O graphs and other statistics, and it can also export packets data in different file formats. It has a graphical user interface (GUI) which is easy to use and makes packet analysis much easier.
Key Features of Wireshark / Ethereal Network Protocol Analyzer for Windows:
- Wireshark is easy to use with rich features and user-friendly GUI.
- Capable of capturing live data packets from network connections as well as from “off the wire”.
- Displays the packets with very detailed protocol information.
- The program supports for more than thousand protocols for deep protocol analysis.
- Meanwhile, the captured data can be browsed via GUI, or via the TTY-mode TShark utility.
- Wireshark can read the files from tcpdump (libpcap), NAI’s Sniffer (compressed and uncompressed), Sniffer Pro, NetXray, Sun snoop. It can also read traces made from Lucent/Ascend WAN routers and Toshiba ISDN routers, as well as the text output from VMS’s TCPIP trace utility and the DBS Etherwatch utility for VMS.
- The Live data can be read from Ethernet, IEEE 802.11, PPP/HDLC, ATM, Bluetooth, USB and others (depending on your platform).
- Runs on multi-platforms such as Windows, Linux, OS X, Solaris, FreeBSD, NetBSD, and many others.
- Wireshark comes with about 20 default coloring rules built in which lets you edit, disable and delete.
- Wireshark’s powerful network data filters allow users to efficiently separate interesting data from captured network traffic.
- In addition to the detailed information about your network’s data shown in Wireshark’s main window it also creates various statistics. Therefore, various display filters can be applied to this statistics.
- However, the results or the output can be exported to several common file formats including CSV, XML, and plain text.
For more information about these advanced features, refer to Wireshark’s official user guide.
How to install/ setup Wireshark on your Windows PC?
- Initially download the link for Wireshark from the below-mentioned download button. The setup links available for both 32-bit and 64-bit.
- In windows, double-click on download .exe file to start the installation process. A User control Account popup for the permission to make changes to the computer. Click Yes to continue.
- The next window shows the welcome setup wizard of Wireshark Click Next to continue. In the next window, the user can see the License agreement. Meanwhile, read carefully, and once you agree to terms and conditions, click on I Agree to continue.
- In the next screen choose Components of the installer click next button to proceed further. Another new screen appears to select the additional task tick as per your preference and click next to continue. Choose the installation location click next to proceed.
- The Wireshark installer contains the latest WinPcap installer. If you don’t have WinPcap installed you won’t be able to capture live network traffic. Mark the Install WinPcap for automatic installation during the same process. Then Click on Next button.
- In the next window, the program prompts to install USBPcap if you would prefer to tick on Install button. The next window shows installation process. Click on finish button to complete setup installation.
- Click on the shortcut button created on the desktop. It guides you to view GUI (Graphical user interface) same as shown in the below image.
Use Wireshark freely on as many computers without any hassle about license keys or fees etc. It supports any version of Windows as well as UNIX like platforms including MacOS and Linux. Overall, Wireshark has everything you would need when it comes to traffic analysis. A detailed analysis of network traffic can help in running a secure network as well discovering network crimes.
System Requirement for Wireshark:
- Operating System: Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista (32-bit & 64-bit)
- Processor: Pentium 4 or Higher
- Installed Memory: 400 MB available RAM
- Hard Disk Space: 300 MB available free space